Wednesday 2 May 2012

Inside Jokes

Twice today I've found myself in the confusing and unsettling position of laughing along to what was clearly a joke only because of the third person in your conversation is reacting accordingly. Otherwise it was just a weird thing to say. For example...

Person 1 - Oh God it's that Justin Beiber song...
Person 2 - Yeah, wouldn't want to be wearing a tutu now!
Person 3 - *giggle* (Genuine)
Person 1 - *giggle* (Why am I giggling?)

This is a stupid situation and I would like to make a plea to all these people who think that this is acceptable in today's society. It isn't. Either shut up or explain yourself immediately. Inside jokes will only excel your relationship with that one person - and that is just a waste of time and energy in this fast paced and cynical world. If everyone did this then life would be a very confusing engagement, as every other witty thought would only be witty in the company to one friend. That one friend would hopefully only make up a very small percentage of the people you count as friends and the likeliness that every witty comment you think up is relevant to the company your keeping will be low. Very low.
So pipe down.

Also, in-couple joke are worse. Much worse. Mainly because they have uncomfortable connotations. But also because they will soon become bitter, bitter memories. Remember that.

Anyway. It's Wednesday. Which means in a few hours I will be sat watching The Avengers on a big screen. I can't actually wait. It's supposed to be a date but if he distracts me at any point, he will be getting a slap. Which might be damning to any future happiness I might have, but a risk I'm willing to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment